What A Year, Huh?

I'm pretty sure 2020 will go down in history as one of the worst years ever.  With the pandemic, politics, and presidential incompetence, it was a never-ending Machiavellian drama of epic proportions.  To put it mildly.

Yesterday I was going through my photo program and ended up looking at the entire year, month by month.  Some months didn't have many images, others--mostly Summer--had far too many.  It was a pictorial trip through the year, which I decided would be a good way to finish off the blog for 2020.  After all, a picture's worth a thousand words...

January:  The only thing noteworthy was my orchid, which hadn't bloomed in five years, until by some miracle it finally did this month and ultimately went on to have six gorgeous flowers clear into May...

February:  The virus news was just starting to worry everyone globally, but I don't think anyone ever expected what happened next.  Most of this month I took pictures of the early blossoming flowers as I looked forward to Spring, and Benny took many afternoon naps during the coldest weather...

March:  We went into lockdown on March 19th.  It was a strange, frightening time though--9 months down the line--so much has happened since that March seems like "the good 'ol days" in comparison.  Little did I know what was on the horizon, though this picture says much about the doom and gloom to come...

April:  I was beginning to chafe with the lockdown after nearly a month.  One day, when I was really struggling, Nick, Benny and I headed into the wilderness.  Fortunately, we live within just a short half hour or so from the forests and rivers of southern Oregon.  We spent the day alone, saw no one, and drove endless forest service roads, stopping to take photos, breathe the clear air, appreciate the quiet, until almost dusk. It was an incredible day and yes, I savored every moment...




May:  This month was mainly about starting the garden.  Food and supplies were getting back on track in stores, although I was only getting groceries once a week, still trying to keep my public time limited to as little interaction as possible.  People were getting restless now, and with Memorial Day coming so many of them--with no clear leadership--were balking at wearing masks or social distancing.  Having our garden would help us to stay home as much as possible.  

It was also Benny's 3rd birthday.  

George Floyd is murdered on the 20th, starting a country-wide revolt against police brutality and fueling the #BLM movement.  Horribly, the nut bars and racists, incited by Trump and his supporters also took off...




June:  A busy month.  Bonnie and Clyde appeared, the deer ate my gorgeous begonia plants, the Turkey Vultures returned from their Winter vacation and the backyard was bursting with color and flowers.  If I stayed outside, ignored the news and the hype and the utter crap, it almost felt like life was normal again.  Almost...





July:  The month started with my mother passing away unexpectedly.  It was a fraught month, with Covid restrictions at her retirement facility where my sister and I were not allowed to enter; no service or memorial; no sending her off in style. We were just one of thousands across the country as Summer virus counts kept rising. 

It was also my birthday month. I got a very sweet garden Buddha who makes me smile every time I look at him...


August:  The garden was growing in leaps and bounds.  By August I'd made about 8 loaves of zucchini bread, and happily shared with neighbors.  We had lettuce, tomatoes, beans, carrots and lots and lots of zucchini...




September:  Here's where things went from bad to worse. Fire. Already ravaging California, the fires began to ignite all over Oregon, especially in the southern region.  It was the worst fire season in recorded history for the West Coast.  It was scary, with choking smoke that permeated everything, ash falling for days, homes, millions of acres of land destroyed, and lives lost.  A dreadful month.

The one bright spot in the month was an addition to the family.  My sister and her husband got a new puppy: Finn, a mini Aussie.  He's just adorable...




October:  One of my favorite months, this year was a bust.  The local farm that supplies all the pumpkins, hay rides, corn maze, etc., was closed.  There were no pumpkins anywhere or any Halloween at all really as even trick or treating was cancelled. The virus was continuing to take a toll across America and Trump started his re-election campaign without masks or distancing. 

Since I don't have any shots for 2020 October, here's one from 2019 instead...


November:  The much anticipated November election.  Biden wins the popular vote and the Electoral College while Trump refuses to concede, spreading lies and false statements about voter fraud and rigged votes, all without a shred of proof. Or truth. The whole ordeal has been divisive, disgusting and dangerous. And exhausting.

Thanksgiving was a "stay at home and enjoy each other" holiday this year.  It was wonderful.  No traveling, no angst, no nonsense.  Just a quiet, perfect day of good food, watching movies and lots of deep yoga breaths throughout the day to give thanks and feel gratitude. 

I took this photo just before Thanksgiving. This is my kind of drama...


December:  And now, here we are.  The end of a traumatic, turbulent, heartbreaking year.  Christmas was, again, just us staying home. It was quiet, peaceful, and above all, safe. New Year's Eve will be the same.  Either I've become agoraphobic, or I'm getting used to this craziness because I like these simple moments in time to feel thankful, to appreciate what I have...



I don't know what's in store for us in 2021, although for sure it will be more of the same for at least several more months until the virus gets under control and more folks are vaccinated. The first months will be the most difficult, I think, as so many people traveled over the holidays.  Still, we've come this far, and with good leadership, we just might see some light at the end of this long, dark journey.

So, I'll raise my limoncello and toast to a New Year of hope, good health and kindness...


See you all next year...

Comments