Chaos, Cookies and Canada, eh?

I spent most of the past several days trying desperately not to succumb to hours and hours of reading the news, hearing the news, struggling with the news.  

It was a solid week of Trump trash talk, inciting people with his endless parade of lies, his constant tweeting.  I particularly loved the one where Covid's been cured--as the numbers continue to climb into the stratosphere.  Or the one where he's already won the election and is preparing to celebrate at the White House tomorrow night. And let's not ignore the Texas highway attack where a dozen or so pickup trucks surrounded the Biden-Harris campaign bus and tried to run it off the road...followed by Trump tweeting: I Love Texas, and calling these idiots "patriots."

I finally had to stop before my head exploded.  I'm now limiting myself to one hour of news per day.  I read the NY Times and the Guardian, then shut off my laptop, Kindle, phone and go do something else for the rest of the day, like keep my sanity.

One day I made these most delicious Gingersnap cookies, thanks to @jennifer.garner and her "Pretend Cooking Show" which I love--her and the show.  They were so easy to make and honestly, the best Gingersnaps ever...


After dinner, when I would usually check in with my news feeds, etc., instead we've found a new TV series to binge watch.  Death in Paradise is a British-French crime drama that takes place on the fictional island of Saint Marie, filmed in the French Caribbean island group of Guadeloupe.  It's a great show in that it's not a blood and guts crime drama but more a Sherlock-type mystery of following clues and red herrings. Every night we sit down and escape to Saint Marie and the gorgeous tropics, far, far away from American politics, the plague and chaos.

Today I've got the crock pot cooking one of my favorite soups: Posole.  It's a bit spicy, really flavorful and paired with honey corn bread, it's yummy good.  We're cleaning out the garage today and storing all the garden furniture, so not having to stop to make dinner is a good thing.  Just before we're ready to eat, I'll make the corn bread, dish up the soup and Bob's your uncle.  My favorite kind of meal...

Lord knows what's going to happen this week, so I guess it's fasten that seat belt and hold on for dear life.  Am I fearful, worried, wishing I could move to Canada?  

Absolutely.

Comments