The Wilderness

On Tuesday I'd been reading way too many sad and tragic stories about this wretched plague.  I'm not one prone to depression but damn, things are so bad right now, it's hard not to feel an overwhelming sense of doom and gloom as the victim count rises along with the deceased.  Nick came into my little office and caught me at a bad moment.  All he did was ask me how I was doing...and I burst into tears!  Is it a girl thing that we can hold it together until someone says something kind/nice and then we lose it?  It can't just be me.

Within an hour of my tear-wiping-nose-blowing episode, the three of us were in the car and heading into the wilderness.  We drove about an hour, crossed over the river, and headed into the deep forest of southwest Oregon.  The weather was sunny and warm, skies were blue, and the world fell away behind us.

View from the bridge we crossed heading into the woods; highway to the left, entering the forest on the right


We drove along a meandering road for a bit then came to a four-way junction of old logging roads.  We picked the road less traveled and headed up into the dense trees.  I had my trusty camera and as we drove, Benny with his head out the window sniffing things only he could smell, I would occasionally say, "Wait!  Back up a few feet..." and get out to take some pictures.  It was quiet, peaceful, with just the sound of birds and water; soothing my soul the deeper we went.

Trilliums, found in the damp shade of the big trees; such a wonderful surprise to find tucked into a steep bank of ferns and grasses along the roadside



At one point we heard rushing water and slowed the car even further so we could pinpoint where it was coming from.  We parked, walked a few yards down this little incline and over some fallen trees and found this creek, water tumbling over the mossy rocks, sun sparkling on the still pool above.  So cool...


As we made our way back to the car, I noticed these pretty little clover leaves and one little flower in the midst of all the green.  Honestly, I think the leaves are more interesting than the wee flower


We came to another crossroads and as we debated which way to go next, I spotted a fallen log with some really lovely fungi.  Yeah, I know, is fungi really that lovely?  Actually, it is...


More wandering aimlessly in the forest, but then it was getting late in the afternoon, so we turned around and began the trip back to civilization and reality.  When we once again came to the big junction, I happened to see something move in this large woodpile of broken tree limbs and twigs.  As soon as I aimed my camera at the pile, the little squirrel froze (which was really nice for taking photos!!)


After we'd made our way out of the forest and were back on the highway, we passed a farm with baby lambs playing and cavorting in the afternoon sun.  They're so darn cute when they're this little and carefree.  I took a shot of these two taking a rest from all the running and leaping.  Such sweetness...


So, once again, my equilibrium was restored by heading away from the doom-filled scenario and letting the quiet of nature calm my spirit.  I'm blessed to have a man who recognizes what I need, and to live in a part of the world where I can sometimes escape from what weighs so heavily on my heart these days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw this today and just had to share:

This wee 3-year old boy takes a walk every day and greets everyone he meets with a happy, cheerful hello.  Now, however, when he walks there's no one out on the streets although he doesn't seem to care.  Click on the link for Smiles

Comments