Bits and Bobs

Blustery April weather has led to some interesting things this week.  As if staying home isn't taking a toll, being cooped up indoors is turning out to be even more challenging.  In desperation on Tuesday, I actually dug out some lettuce, bean and carrot seeds I'd stashed from last year and, in a torrential downpour, planted them in my freshly tilled garden.  I also potted some begonia bulbs and sunflower seeds.  I was cold, very wet and dirty by the time I finished, but it was worth it to be outside, breathing fresh air and thinking ahead to the Summer months and an end to the isolation.  I hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This morning I was sitting in my little office procrastinating gazing out the window near my desk.  I can get distracted sometimes by the view; today it was the little pink Dogwood tree blooming in the front yard.  Dark clouds were rolling by in the distance, but the blossoms were bright and cheerful.  Spring always feels so hopeful as everything comes back to life.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday was Earth Day.  It's been 50 years since the first April 22nd celebration of our planet.  Sadly, after five decades we're still pillaging and plundering the only home we have.  It's been frankly startling that due to the pandemic and isolationism (read: no human interactions), the Earth has begun to change in just a few short months.  People around the globe are seeing things they haven't seen in generations:  Fish in the canals of Venice; blue skies over Beijing; dolphins returning to Sardinia, and whales basking with their babies in Alaska, without the noise and interference of cruise ships; lions lounging on empty roads in the African sun without cars or people to disturb them.  The list goes on, from reduction of carbon dioxide to dramatic drops in air and noise pollution.  Unfortunately, for all the creatures and our planet, it will be back to business as usual too, too soon.  We will learn nothing, change nothing.  Ugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a totally different note:  Last Sunday morning I took a good look at my hair and decided it was time to take matters into my own hands.  I usually hit the salon once a month for a color and cut.  February was my last appointment.  My roots were about an inch long, my hair color was somewhere in the faded and lifeless zone and with no end in sight, I made an epic decision.  Really.  Epic.  I managed to coerce Nick into giving me an Army buzz cut. He was very hesitant, mainly because he was afraid for his life if he botched the job, but I reassured him that no matter what, I wouldn't blame him...as long as he didn't make me bald.

I have to say, it's a total mindblower to have your head shaved to within a half inch of your scalp.  I've gone all G.I. Jane. My hair is naturally wavy, but I had no idea there were so many swirls and twists that made it that way. And who knew I had a round, sort of egg-shaped head?  Not me, that's for sure!  It's a bit hard to get used to--there's no hiding anything when your hair is gone--and every time I catch a glimpse of my reflection, I gasp in shock.  Really, five days later and I'm still doing it.  However, no regrets as it's super easy to take care of, all the color and crap is gone, and honestly, it feels great to start fresh with a brand new head of...fuzz.

And no.  There will not be a photo.  Just look at this and you'll get the picture...


Comments