Reality Bites

I find myself losing the plot faster these days. I made it almost three weeks the first time I cracked from social distancing/isolation and had to head for the hills.  The next time, I only made it 9 days before I needed to get away again. Now it's been barely a week and I had to get outta Dodge on Wednesday.  We've been distancing for over a month now and it's getting to me.

The funny thing is, I don't mind staying home.  I can find stuff to do all day long, inside and out.  Flowers are blooming, I have a few things in the garden already planted, an enormous pile of books to read, and Nick & I get along just fine in each other's company. Benny is a constant source of amusement...and there's always Netflix.

I think the issue is that age-old human thing: You want something more when you can't have it.  I want to go shopping, see a movie, go out for Chinese, have a drink at the local pub.  Whatever.  Anything.  Just. Let. Me. Out.

Having said that however, I was appalled at the gatherings in a few eastern states yesterday, protesting the Stay At Home orders.  Seriously?  Hundreds of people, all crowded together, shouting and yelling (no doubt spit flying...eeewwww), being led by conspiracy theorists and their nut bar counterparts (yeah, looking at you Limbaugh).  Is there no common sense left in the flipping world?  People are still dying in record numbers, but sure, let's put more strain on the health care folks and spread the virus even more.  I, for one, will be staying away from people until I feel it's safe and not a minute before, no matter how many times I have to run to the woods/park/river.

So, moving on.  A few quick shots of my latest escape from reality.  A short half hour drive to a state park called Whistler Bend.  Quiet, secluded, no humans.

Meandering off the highway on the way to the park, small lake in the distance; sunshine and shadows, and a field full of tiny yellow flowers...


We parked in a little niche under the trees, next to the river.  So peaceful, no human folk to be seen anywhere...


Couple shots of the river.  It was so clear, with rocks, little fish and a few crawdads easily visible, even way out...



Cool looking tree stump.  An octopus...or an elephant...?


As always, I feel better once I can experience a tiny semblance of normalcy, an escape from this incomprehensible reality.  I have to remind myself daily that:  This too shall pass...  Right?

Comments