Two Things...

First:  What is up with Daylight Savings?  When can we get beyond this ridiculous manipulation of time?  Proven to impact our health, cognitive functions and sleep patterns, this is the most moronic thing to have to deal with twice a year.

In the last election, abolishing this practice was on the ballot in Washington, Oregon and California.  But it had to be a unanimous vote, passed by all three states, I think to encompass the whole West Coast, though I'm not exactly sure why.  In any case, Washington and Oregon were all for it.  California said no.  It would be nice if majority ruled here, but alas, if all three didn't go for it, no one got to.  And buggers to that.

Monday, the first morning of fogging my brain, I took this shot of Benny in his little sleeping bag.  It might have said 6:00 am on the clock, but for us it was barely 5:00 and we were feeling it.  Picture says it all...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other day I was at the grocery store.  Walking through the first set of doors, there was a small table, a mom, and a little girl selling Girl Scout cookies.  The girl was wearing her uniform, badges and all, and only had a small stack of cookie boxes left.  She was drooping, no doubt tired of standing all afternoon and was obviously ready to call it a day.  I stopped to see what cookies were left and though none were my favorites, I decided to buy what she had left anyway.

"I was a girl scout when I was a kid,"  I said to the girl.  "I remember back then going from house to house in my neighborhood trying to sell my cookies."

Her mom smiled and nodded, "Me, too."

"Are these all you have left?" I asked, looking at the five boxes, wishing there were Lemon-Ups, the newest flavor this year.  I love lemon cookies and really wanted to try them. The girl sort of mumbled a yes, convinced I would walk away now with the meager choice.

I got out my wallet and said, "Okay, I'll take them."  She blinked, then asked which box.  "All of them," I said.

The smile and the sparkle in her eyes was worth it.  I'm not particularly fond of Samoas or Tagalongs, but whatever, that's what she had left, though next year I'm getting my hands on those Lemon-Ups, for sure!

I handed the girl my money as her mom gave me a relieved smile.  After I put the boxes in my cart, I grinned at the girl and said, "Once a girl scout, always a girl scout.  Remember that, even when you're grown up."

"I will," she said, with a serious look on her face.  "I really will."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tomorrow marks the 108th year since the Girl Scouts were founded.  So to all my sister scouts out there, near and far, young and old: Happy Girl Scouts Day!! 

Comments