Mindfulness

Sunday was a beautiful, sunny 68* and after being housebound for days, we happily went outside to enjoy the third day of Spring.  Benny dropped into the grass and was instantly in doggy heaven.

The flowers are blooming, trees are getting their tiny green shoots and it felt wonderful to breathe fresh, clean air.  I opened up all the doors and windows to let the gentle breeze waft throughout the house, too.

But by late afternoon I was sneezing, blowing my nose, feeling stuffy and out of sorts, suddenly convinced I was done for.  The virus had found me after all.  I turned to Nick and said, "Oh my god, I think I'm sick!"  He sneezed.  We looked at each other in horror and dashed into the house to take our temperatures, the first real sign of the virus.

No temps.  Still, only slight relief at that news because something was definitely wrong.  Then I had a thought and went to a weather channel online that has the most accurate forecasts and other info.

Pollen.  Tree pollen to be exact.  Specifically, Alder, Birch and Cottonwood.  We have six Birch in the front yard and two in the back.  The pollen count was into the danger zone for folks with asthma, allergies, breathing issues.  Or just happy people getting outside to play, work and breathe the (pollen-laden) air.

It's amazing how our minds work. I was sure, for about two (very long) minutes, that the end was near.  An entire scenario played out in my head.  Then, thankfully, it just turns out to be the usual time of year for Spring allergies.

Enjoy the flowers and the warm sunshine, if you can find it.  But also be mindful that it is also Spring and with that comes sneezing, runny noses and watery eyes.  And apparently great dire leaps of the imagination.

Comments