First Snow


I woke up this morning to the first snowfall of the season.  It was softly quiet outside, as snow somehow always is, the large flakes dancing in the air like lazy, white butterflies.  The ground was covered, the trees decorated with snow drifts, the beautiful silence so magical.

It's not often there is snow at this time of year where I live. I stood on the back deck watching my wee dog investigate the strange, cold weirdness that had invaded his space whilst he slept, smiling when he gave me a look like it was all my fault.

Shivering in my pajamas, I stomped my slippered feet a few times--as if that would warm me up--took some deep yoga breaths of the crisp frigid air, and reveled in the moment, thankful for the unexpected wonder of nature.  I had my first laugh of the day when Benny buried his nose in the snow, then raised it with a big dollop on the end like frosting.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in America.  Traditionally, it's a time to reflect on what you're thankful for.  This year, for me, the message I got from today was easy:  It's the simple things, really, isn't it?

Comments